On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 03:49:52PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:

>       I did have a "vfs." entry in the wong file; that has seemed to
>       make a big difference.  On my Ubuntu server most of these
>       utilities Just-Work.  I would like to burn CD's and maybe a
>       DvD or two.   But k3b seems way too far.  Do you--or anyone
>       else on-List--know if the gnome burner (*Baker) works out of
>       the box?   ---I realize that our speciality is as-servers.
>       With stability.  But since I'm building a new main machine
>       that is not my DNS/web/server, I'd rather stick with FBSD.

All those graphical programs are just front-ends for
- cdrecord (CDs)
- growisofs (fro DVDs, from the dvd+rw-tools package)

So try and get those to work from the command-line first. Then install
k3b or baker or whatever.

My usual invocation for cdrecord for data disks is:
  cdrecord -v -eject -dao speed=8 driveropts=burnfree dev=1,1,0 -pad \
  -data file.iso

You'll have to adjust the dev part by looking at the output of
'cdrecord -scanbus'. Cdrecord requires atapicam or a SCSI burner, btw.

For burning music, use -audio instead of -data, and feed it a bunch of
WAV files. See cdrecord(1).

The growisofs(1m) manual has examples on how to use it.

Roland