On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 07:56:01AM +0330, Bahman Movaqar wrote:
> On 2007-11-21 Gary Kline wrote:
>

> >     guys, one last thing before i call it a days; i just tried
> >     kmidi and tried to configure the audio.
> >     got the sound of a breaking glass and the warning that
> > something was already using "dev/sequencer". i tried a
> >     ps -alx, but couldn't tell very much..  can anybody shed a
> > light?
>
> I guess you, like me, have one of those motherboards with an on-board
> sound card.  Most of these sound cards don't have a MIDI sequencer
> chip.  So it's very hard, if not impossible, to play MIDI files using
> those softwares that require a hardware sequencer to be available -at
> least I couldn't make it work.
>
> I have a bunch of old MIDI files which I play frequently; and to play
> them I use 'timidity' (ports/audio).  That has a software sequencer
> built in -no hardware required- and the output quality is good; not as
> great as a hardware playback but it's good.

        I've got whatever came with the box:

pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> at irq 4  (1p/1r/3v channels duplex default)

        according to /dev/sndstat.   timidity does a good enough job
        for as often as I play these files.  I was  hoping to make a
        playist using the midi files and amarok....   but I  haven't
        figured out how "Kmid" and amaroK interface.

        -g

        PS:  FBSD comes up short when it comes to "toys" ... but that why
             I have Ubuntu.