Hi Bill,

Thank you for your input.

I assumed this was common knowledge, but I can be wrong?
I've checked some other RAID controllers in the company and all of them have
the need to be verified/synchronized once and a while. This happens in the BIOS
for the more expensive cards (> 600€) and with a utility/driver for the low
budget cards...

In my case I am using a real inexpensive onboard Intel ICH8R controller but I
presume even a low cost controller needs to do the job done. Furthermore it's
only a simple mirror... Intel provides a small windows utility to synchronize.

This is what I found in a 3Ware manual:
Verification can provide early warning of a disk drive problem or failure.
...verification once every 24 hours...
Not verifying the unit periodically can lead to an unstable array unit and may
cause data loss.
It is strongly recommended that you schedule a verify at least 1 time per week.
For a RAID 1 or RAID 10 unit, a verify compares the data of one mirror with the
other. For RAID 5, RAID 6, and RAID 50, a verify calculates parity and compares
it to what is written on the disk drive.

Cheers,
Jan