Zachary Kline wrote:
> Hi,
>     I've read through the sections of the handbook quite carefully, and
> haven't quite found what I'm looking for.
>     To be specific, I've no plans to install X11 or anything like it on this
> machine yet.  I may do so in the future merely to see how accessible Gnome
> and such are, but not now.
>     I note that /usr/ports/editors/emacs has several environment variables
> which can be set, such as WITHOUT_X11.  I can set these just fine, and don't
In /etc/make.conf --
.if ${.CURDIR:M*/usr/ports/*}
  NOPORTSDOC=           yes

  WITHOUT_DBUS=         yes
  WITHOUT_DEBUG=        yes
  WITHOUT_EXAMPLES=     yes
  WITHOUT_GUI=          yes
  WITHOUT_HAL=          yes
  WITHOUT_IPV6=         yes
  WITHOUT_NLS=          yes
  WITHOUT_X11=          yes

  APACHE_PORT=  www/apache22
  OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=     f7
.endif

#### - Per Port
.if ${.CURDIR:M*/usr/ports/databases/mysql50*}
  WITH_ARCHIVE=         yes
  WITH_CSV=             yes
  WITH_FEDERATED=       yes
  WITH_NDB=             yes
  BUILD_OPTIMIZED=      yes
.endif

>     However, if I were to use something like Portmanager, Portupgrade, etc,
> is there any way I can keep it from downloading these as well?  On the
Should work here too.

> subject of port managers, is manual port installation the prefered method of
> doing this anyway?
The "managers" as you call them are more for upgrading and maintenance
rather then original installation.

Most people would use pkg_add -r, or compile from source in /usr/ports.
Once you get familiar with things, I'd recommend setting up a local ftp
package repository based on own source compiles so you only have to do
them once.

see make package
et al.

Philip M. Gollucci ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
o:703.549.2050x206
Senior System Admin - Riderway, Inc.
http://riderway.com / http://ridecharge.com
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.