On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:06:45 +0000
Matthew Seaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 'portsnap extract' or 'portsnap update' will however blow away local
> additions in the part of the ports tree it is operating on -- there
> are clear warnings to that effect in the man page.

There are clear warnings that 'portsnap extract' will delete extra
files, but not for 'portsnap update'. And my recollection, from when I
briefly tried portsnap, is that it leaves derived files, like
README.html, untouched. So I guess that after the initial extract is
done  portsnap behaves like csup in this respect.

I think the main difference between csup and 'portsnap update' is in
the way they handle files that are under CVS, such as port makefiles.
csup always removes changes, which I like because I know where I stand.
I think with portsnap it depends on the CVS history.