On Nov 26, 2007, at 2:57 AM, Gerard Seibert wrote:

On November 25, 2007 at 09:51PM jekillen wrote:

[ snip ]

Thank you all for responses.
I did get this straightened out:
It is mysql_enable="YES"
and putting a script named mysql
in the /etc/rc.d directory with the
lines;
#! /bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &
did the trick. This is what the mysql docs
prescribe for starting the server. Perhaps
that is not the best way to go about it at
system start, but it works.
Thanks again;
Jeff K

Did you install this from ports? If so. the script would have been placed
there all ready.
Yes, that is what provoked the original question. I had built and installed
from source tarball in the past. But one machine was always a problem.
Once I did install from ports I was lacking info. The startup script was not in /etc/rc.d (although I have subsequently got into on /usr/local/etc/rc.d)
I had followed instructions from MySQL documentation and put the script
they supplied in /etc/rc.d; mysql.server, but for some reason the script
did not actually start MyQSL. But the systems seems to look for some
thing with mysql in the name and runs it if it is in /etc/rc.d. That is how
I figured out what to do. (or maybe the system will try to run anything
that is in /etc/rc.d if there is a corresponding enable line in rc.conf it
understands). The academic question is, is the program that runs the
startup routine, itself a script or is it a binary?
Thanks