Folks (to the whole list, but esp'ly Messes Smith [NL & AU],

        I'll believe that my ISDN link is working when/if I see this
        echoed from the -questions list.  I was busy rebuilding my 6.2
        GENERIC kernel after having added

        ^device         atapicam

        72 hours ago when my feed slowed, then stopped.  It `sputtered'
        a couple times over the next several hours.   By 03:35 I was
        convinced that every thing on my LAN was working perfectly.
        My ISP said it was my ISDN line; they called the local telco.
        Turned out that the telco would have to "roll a truck".  Which
        may have already happened since I saw blinking LED's on my router.
        ((*****))

        Lest I stray *too* far OT, I'll share the results of my 3rd
        kernel rebuild on this Dell.   It crapped out; it hung after
        printing out the sio0 line.  I had to powercycle and went in by
        typing "8" (??) and by hand booting /boot/kernel.old.  I tried
        twice more by removing part of the additions to GENERIC.  Same;
        the new kernel still hung.

        Here are the sizes of the new kernel (with atapicam) and
        the old.

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7206901 Nov 23 21:00 kernel
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  4001279 Apr  9  2007 kernel

        I realize that drivers can require a lot of space, but not
        over 1.2 megs.   Att any rate, the newer kernel hangs.

        I will upgrade to the newest 6.2 and try to get the audio
        toys functioning.   But does anybody know where I fouled up?
        Could it be as simple as Not having done a make clean
        before doing a make buildkernel?  I don't burn // copy audio
        discs that often and haven't ever copied a DVD; I just want these
        new utilities to work.

        Thanks, people,

        gary