On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 21:25 +0100, Tino Engel wrote:
> williamkow schrieb:
> > I am newbie, recently I have installed FreeBSD 6.2-Stable, and manage to
> > configure and display the x window manager (X11) using command "startx".
> > and then i run command "startkde " and I received error message
> > (kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server)
> > However, if i run command "kdm", then it prompt for login screen. I am
> > wondering the command "startkde" is not correct way to call KDE. please
> > advise me. Thank you.

I thought X had to be fully running to start another desktop on top of
it, and that was done by xinit. Hence having to put startkde
in .xinitrc.

I think from the situation you're describing that you're correct, it
ought to be running, but try putting startkde in the .xinitrc file and
then just running startx.

James