Clint Olsen wrote:
Apologies if this isn't the correct forum.  I'd like to configure DNS on my
home network but make it work simultaneously with DHCP.  So, when hosts are
plugged into the network and issued an IP, DNS is updated to reflect the
hostnames.  That way I can refer to all my machines by name in all
databases and I can avoid hardcoding IP addresses.  I know Windows allows
name-based recognition even in the instance you're using DHCP, but I'd like
it to work more generally with any type of machine on the network.

The problem is, when I search for terms related to this, I get hits for
DynDNS and all that stuff which is /not/ what I want.  I'm not trying to
update a remote DNS record.  This is just a local thing.

If there's a lightweight DNS server that comes with a DHCP daemon, that
would be fine too.  I just need to know where to start.

Thanks,

-Clint