Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

Chuck Robey wrote:
Can you use brandelf to read the elf type of a binary?  The man page
shows a usage that might possibly do this, but doesn't bother to say
what that usage does.

To be honest, I need to do some work with the linux stuff, and the
usage of /compat/linux and /usr/compat/linux, well, I don't
understand, and I haven't seen a good enough explanation yet.  Stuff
like the ld.so.conf file to configure linux's ldconfig, it assumes
the /compat/linux prefix.  Do all the binaries do that?  I mean, the
browser files, they use a sh scri[t to kick them off, do they use
that prefix, or assume stuff?

I need to know this so I can keep going forward on getting flash to
work.

If you're attempting to rebrand the linux flash exec (I assume 9 since
I know for a fact 7 works right out of the box [ff 2.0.0.9, gnome
2.20.1, amd64 8-current]) no amount of hacking will make it like
FreeBSD since it uses some linux specific stuff... your better off
learning compat..

I found a Linux emulation app, one that installed libs, that put it's libs into /usr/local/lib, and I guess I wanted some more data, but I went ahead, moved them to a place that seemed good to me under /compat/linux (I hafe a Gentoo system, I know that Linux premendously abuses their /usr/bin and /usr/llib, to stick their packages into, mixing their OS and user stuff completely. Anyhow, I moved the libs, used the linux ldconfig, and now the libs user's work fine. That was a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to know enough to determine if it was worth a PR on this. It seems to me that a whole lot of various ports put things where they don't belong, because LOCALBASE and X11BASE seem to be disregarded by some ports also. I found a font port that used a search of pkgconfig files to figure out where to install to, and I couldn't fix it. I personally don't care for the fact that X11 ports now all install into /usr/local, and I found that no amount of manipulation of LOCALBASE or X11BASE fixes this. I just gave up and installed (unwillingly) to /usr/local. At least, it's not like Linux, which does largely without any /usr/local. That much makes separating system and packages for Linux just about impossible.