From: Kevin Kinsey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 7:26 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SSH disconnects very troubling

Anne Moore wrote:
> Whenever my users connect to my FreeBSD system, they are automatically
> disconnected after 1 minute of inactivity. This happens no matter if
> they are connected to our Oracle instance or SSH or Telnet, or anything.
> It's like the server "hangs-up" on them after no activity for a minute
> or so.
>
> I ran tcpdump during and received this error on the disconnect:
>
> 17:20:21.362159 IP 192.168.8.90.56141 > myhost1.rdm.loc.ssh: .
> ack 233 win 33303 <nop,nop,timestamp 2469825 98100123>
>
> I'm stumped! Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

I recently had trouble with this issue after a change in service providers
between my office and some servers, although, IIRC, it was more than just
one minute until the disconnect.

Adding this to /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the servers seems to have fixed the
issue:

ClientAliveInterval 30
ClientAliveCountMax  10

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
--
I should have been a country-western singer.  After all, I'm older than most
western countries.