I connect to a FreeBSD server from OSX (via iTerm).  I then start up
screen.

And it resizes my windows to 80 characters wide.  This doesn't happen on
linux.

My understanding is this has something to do with the termcap entry and
'WS', but as far as I can tell that isn't being set anywhere.

Also the -A option to screen doesn't seem to do anything either.

Anyone have any ideas?  Googling for "screen resize window" doesn't get me
very far :(

In iTerm, select Bookmarks > Manage Profiles. In the Terminal Profile you are using to connect, check the Disable session-initiated window resizing checkbox.

Woot! I would never have thought to look there... you've made my day. Thanks Jim!