Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
[Repost from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
As has been hashed out in -ports@ over the last few days there is at
least a need to examine weither or not the current ports system should
remain as is or potentially be re-engineered in the future (estimates
if and when needed vary from ASAP to 10-15 years). I have
volunteered to undertake a feasibility/pilot project to examine what
changes (if any) are needed in the system (for the purposes of this
thread I will not venture any of my own suggestions). I have the
following broad questions for people:
1. What is more important to your personal use of FreeBSD (the ports
system, the underlaying OS, some other aspect)?
Mu. For me, the OS is nothing without the port, and vice-versa.
2. How frequently do you interact with the ports systems and what is
the most common interaction you have with it?
Daily. Updating, building for jails.
3. What is the single best aspect of the current system?
For normal, day-to-day work on servers, it Just Works.
4. What is the single worst aspect of the current system?
Compiling takes forever, especially on small-scale machines.
5. If you where a new FreeBSD user how would your answers above
change? If you where brand new to UNIX how whould they change?
A GUI would really help to get an overview and manage simple tasks.
6. Assuming that there was no additional work on your behalf would you
use a new system if it corrected your answer to number 4?
7. Same as question 6 but for your answer on question 3?
8. How long have you used FreeBSD and/or UNIX in general?
9. That is your primary use(s) for your FreeBSD machine(s) (name upto 3)?
Home server (mail, web, file), software development, small-scale production.
10. Assuming there is no functional difference what is your preferred
installation method for 3rd party software?
pkg_add to cut install time, but usually ports tree because of missing
options in precompiled packages (e.g. no-gui vim, php5 with apache module).
11. On a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the best) please rate the
importance of the following aspects of the ports system?
a. User Interface
b. Consistency of behaviors and interactions
c. Accuracy in dependant port installations
d. Internal record keeping
e. Granularity's of the port management system
12. Please rate your personal technical skill level?
email@example.com mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"