On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 09:46:53AM -0700, Steve Franks wrote:

> >   dump 0af - / | restore -rf -
>
> Jerry - thanks a million.  I was pouring over the dump/restore and
> 'backup basics' in the handbook, and couldn't for the life of me
> figure out how to get it to go to a filesystem instead of a
> tape/specialdevice/file.  Figured the only way was to use rsync.

You just name the file using the -f parameter.
In this case, use the -f, but specify the file as - and it
uses STDOUT/STDIN.

By the way, dump/restore will work over the net; just pipe it via ssh.
When I have done that, it has seemed to be somewhat of a resource
hog while it was going.   But it worked.

////jerry