Hello all,

  I'm trying to use ng_netflow module along with PF+CARP implementation on
freebsd 6.2.
  I understand from different posts that ng_netflow module is performing quite
well and does not add so much cpu load since packets are processed in the
kernel.
  However, ng_netflow documentation is very confusing for begginers and I'm
having a hard time to figure it out.

  Like mentioned before, I have PF+CARP implementation along with
/usr/ports/net/ifstated port. This part is tested and is working fine. (If
anybody wants advice here feel free to ask:) )

  I'm wonder if it's a good ideea to add ng_netflow on top of it or should I
use an additional system with TAP interface and just mirror incoming/outgoing
traffic from switch.

  This is what I want to try for ng_netflow:

  cat /boot/loader.conf

  ng_ether_load="YES"
ng_ksocket_load="YES"
ng_tee_load="YES"
  ng_socket_load="YES"
ng_netflow_load="YES"

  cat /etc/rc.conf |grep ng

  ng_netflow_enable="YES"

  cat /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ng_netflow

  #!/bin/sh
#
  # PROVIDE: ng_netflow
# REQUIRE: DAEMON
  . /etc/rc.subr

  name="ng_netflow"
rcvar=`set_rcvar`

  ng_netflow_start()

  {
    echo "Starting ${name}."
      /usr/sbin/ngctl -f- <<-SEQ

          mkpeer bge2: tee lower right
        connect bge2: bge2:lower upper left
        name bge2:lower bge2_tee
        mkpeer bge2_tee: netflow left2right iface0
        name bge2:lower.left2right netflow
        connect bge2_tee: netflow: right2left iface1
        msg netflow: setifindex { iface=0 index=2 }
        msg netflow: setifindex { iface=1 index=1 }
        mkpeer netflow: ksocket export inet/dgram/udp
        msg netflow:export connect inet/127.0.0.1:8818

          mkpeer bge1: tee lower right
        connect bge1: bge1:lower upper left
        name bge1:lower bge1_tee
        mkpeer bge1_tee: netflow left2right iface2
        name bge1:lower.left2right netflow0
        msg netflow0: setifindex { iface=2 index=4 }
        connect bge1_tee: netflow0: right2left iface3
        msg netflow0: setifindex { iface=3 index=3 }
        mkpeer netflow0: ksocket export inet/dgram/udp
        msg netflow0:export connect inet/127.0.0.1:8818

  SEQ
}

  ng_netflow_stop()
{
    echo "Stopping ${name}."
      /usr/sbin/ngctl -f- <<-SEQ
        shutdown netflow:
SEQ
}

  start_cmd="ng_netflow_start"
stop_cmd="ng_netflow_stop"

  load_rc_config $name

  : ${ng_netflow_enable="NO"}

  run_rc_command "$1"

  As can be seen from above script I'm planning sending packets on localhost
port 8818 first.
  Is the above configuration correct?

  It will affect in any way PF+CARP implementation regardging the fact that I'm
not using CARP inetrfaces with ng_netflow but physical ones like bge1 and bge2?
(I want to mention here that I'm not planning using ng_netflow on pf_sync
interface)

  Should I stick with solutions from ports like softflowd & similar?

  What could be cpu/memory requirements difference for 100Mbps traffic between
ng_netflow and with softflowd?

  Thanks in advance for any help.

  Senior Network/Security Administrator
  Catalin Miclaus