On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, David Morton wrote:

I have been out of work so long (since being diagnosed as autistic and
scared) that even as an IT professional, I now get very anxious about
messing with my PC.

However, I got a magazine that included FreeBSD/i386 6.2 on the DVD and I
have always wanted to play with BSD.  My past experience included UNIX
System V, some Solaris 7 or 8, and other variants, so you know a bit of
history.

Anyway, I have a laptop preinstalled with Vista Home Premium and I would
like to also run BSD on it.  In reading your installation documentation, I
do not see anything that suggests I can install FreeBSD onto my PC without
wiping Windows.

I also have restricted web access so cannot access you web site, so I would
like to know if FreeBSD will install in a way that will not kill Windows on
my PC?

I have to ask this, because I once had an old PC and put Solaris on it, and
that required a dedicated drive.  The PC is now dead, so I have to make it
all work on one machine.

Hello, David,

I think the most simple chance you have if you do not want to destroy your windows installation but want to play with BSD is to get FreeSBIE from http://www.freesbie.org/ or so and burn it to CD. Than you will be able run FreeBSD from CD only without touching your hard disk.

If you find FreeBSD useful after playing with FreeSBIE for some time you may possibly pluck up the courage to repartition your hard disk and to install both system, Vista and FreeBSD.

Best regards

Konrad Heuer
GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, [EMAIL PROTECTED]