On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Micha?l Gr?newald wrote:

Predrag Punosevac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I use Epson Perfection 1670 and it works like a charm. Unfortunately
it does require binary blob which might be something you want to
avoid.

What is that binary blob stuff? Do you mean by this a binary image
that should be loaded in kernel --- after being correctly wrapped just
like some wifi card drivers? If this is the case, there is no chance
to make the blob work under amd64, is there?

Some scanners have no built-in firmware. The driver downloads the firmware to the scanner on initialization.

The best way to avoid problems with a firmware download is to avoid equipment that uses it. The SANE documentation should help you identify scanners that require a firmware download; my Epson 1640SU doesn't, for example.