Gary Kline wrote:
        Folks,

        IFF k3b works, and I think it might, I'll put up a howto
        on  my bsd virtual site.   Make this domain more useful.
        The help from this group has been outstanding, but getting things
        CD and DVD actually working has been a study in persseverancce.

        That said,  first,if there is a website for total dweebs, please
post it; or send it privately. I just bought some "Memorex DVD+RW" ; I want to record a 117 minute commercial DVD.
        On the back on the DVDs is says these are only good for 60 minutes
        in great qualty; it is good up to 120 minutes, and so on.
        Nutshell: how good will k3b and my Pioneer burner do on dubbing
this professioally recorded disc? Also, Does thw "RW" mean tthat I can re-tape over this with another edu DVD?

        gary

        PS:  I much prefer analogue cassettes; I've been taping stuff
             since I taped "American Bandstand" off the TV :-)

I wrote K3b how to http://www.bsd-srbija.org/dokumentacija/doku.php/rezanje_cd_i_dvd_diskova_pomo%C4%87u_k3b
but you will need little bit of Serbian language to read it.

Actually probably you could follow article even if you do not speak Serbian as the language is generic and there are only three important steps you need to do.

Step 1 Editing your /boot/loader.conf file with

atapicam_load="YES"
hw.ata.ata_dma="1"
hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"

since FreeBSD is using atapicam device to write DVD

Step 2 Edit your /etc/devfs.conf with various permission. Most of those are needed for a work station anyway

perm      /dev/acd0   0666
perm      /dev/cd0    0666

# Commonly used by many ports
link cd0 cdrom
link  cd0  dvd
link  cd0  rdvd

link  acd0 cdrom
link  acd0 dvd
link  acd0 rdvd

# Misc other devices

perm    cdrom   0666
perm    dvd     0666
perm    rdvd    0666
perm    xpt0    0666
perm    pass0   0666

Step 3 Edit your /etc/fstab file if you want to use K3b as a normal user since the disk has to be mounted on the mount point which belong to you

[pedja@ /usr/home/Pedja]$ more /etc/fstab
#These are my options
/dev/cd0     /usr/home/Pedja/mnt/cdrom cd9660   rw, noauto      0       0
/dev/acd0    /usr/home/Pedja/mnt/cdrom cd9660   rw, noauto      0       0

You do not need HAL for things to work but is not going to heart.

Also read

make showinfo /usr/ports/sysutils/k3b

Best,
Predrag