On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 07:46:40PM -0700, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:

> >>I wrote K3b how to
> >>http://www.bsd-srbija.org/dokumentacija/doku.php/rezanje_cd_i_dvd_diskova_pomo%C4%87u_k3b
> >>but you will need little bit of Serbian language to read it.
> >>

> >     Actually, my best friend for > 30 years comes from [ what was ]
> >     Yugoslavia; so he could surely help me with the translation.
> >
> >     I think I have the k3b stuff actually workinng.  As of late FFriday
> >     night, k3b ran thru all of its tests.    That wasn't my question.
> >     I want to know
> >     more about what DVD blanks are good,better,best, and whether it is
> >     worth "wasting" a blank DVD in trying to copy a DVD that I borrowed
> >     from the library.
> >
> >     I've googled arouund, tryiiing to get some  kind of specs that an
> >     EE can understand ... even if he kknows nothing about figital
> >     video.
> >

> I think that duplicating DVDs works like a charm on FreeBSD but I think
> there is a better software in ports for that of K3b which is
> kind a all in one generic GUI application. This is also a useful link
> http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html if you are trying to
> understand DVD business.  There are definitely people on this mailing
> list or on OpenBSD mailing list (I do not remember any more as I am on
> both mailing lists) who have fantastic knowledge of DVD writable medias,
> proprietary Video Formats and various issues that come with that including
> the issues of regional coding and by that I do not mean just USA vs
> Europe or Asia. Even inside of U. S. where I have being g living for the
> past 12 years there are many different regional formats. I am clueless
> about it.

        Hm.  There is a new protocol, DVD-ROM (or perhaps it was
        DVD-CDROM); so if there are even *more*, I'd be spinning my wheel s,
        trying to figure this stuff out in any depth.

> As a mathematician I  am probably much less capable of understanding DVD
> technical issues than you.

        Isn't it more a matter of personal interest and time?  I love math
        --and several other fields as well--but given the limitations we
        all have, learning sufficiently well (not to mention
        keeping-current:-), should give everyone pause.  --Then there is
        the matter of living Life, and blah-blah-blah.  Re the DVD stuff,
        I'd be happy to know some of the boundary conditions.  And more
        practice and testing than theory.

> To be perfectly  honest  as a professional mathematician I am very
> concern with the status of TeX port and the fact that two years after
> teTeX was abolished by TeX community in favor of TeXLive there are no
> even indication that the TeXLive will be ported to FreeBSD. Even in the
> most crude form (4 packages) as it is done in OpenBSD would be better
> than noting. Of course the Debian way (30 or so packages) would be my
> preferable way as TeXLive is developing really rapidly in some areas.
> My knowledge of porting is unfortunately inadequate to be able to help
> with such a major project.

        teTeX is dead?   After I met Don Knuth I really got into his
        stuff.  But then, as mentioned above,  LIFE hit me over the head, &c.
        FWIW, Someone friom the OOo list posted a math site a couple days
        ago. The site deals with some of the things that may interest you.
        I'll find it--this one I moused and clicked nd snagged.

        Or then again, if DEbian has the new TeX packages, our FBSD
        Linux support would do.   ... .

        ciao,

        gary