Blow CD drive out real well with a can of compressed air.

You might have dust obscuring the optical pickup that tells
the drive that there's a disk in it.

If that doesen't work, then scrap the drive.  New ones are very
cheap.  Or better yet get yourself a nice DVD burner.

You can confirm the drive is bad by testing it under Windows.
This is assuming of course that you don't trust FreeBSD.
Presumably you have access to another system you can swap the
drive out with.

Ted
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2:51 PM