Valerio Daelli wrote:
Hi list

we have a freshly installed FreeBSD 6.2 machine with a gstriped external disk,
of 5.3Tb. The disk is composed of two slices of 2.6 Tb.
We are trying to have a (background) fsck of it but few hours later
since the start of the check
the host get unresponsive: it responds to ping but it doesn't let
login anyone, nor by ssh
nor by console.
What do you get if you press Control-T on the console when it is unresponsive?

When you do a background fsck there is a point at which a snapshot of the filesystem is taken, although I'd say that happens at the beginning of the check. The problem is that with 5.3 Tb, it may take quite a while to take the snapshot, and during that time the system blocks any process that tries to write to the filesystem. Maybe that's what you are experiencing.