Putting quill to paper and scribbling furiously on Tue, Dec 11,
2007 at 22:19 , [EMAIL PROTECTED] missed
achieving immortality when he said:

> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 20:40:46 +0200
> From: Giorgos Keramidas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: smart_host on sendmail min config

> On 2007-12-11 13:25, "Aryeh M. Friedman"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> >> Neat!  Your local Sendmail submission service works then.  You
> >> should be able to see the message in the `clientmqueue' with:

> >> mailq -Ac

> >> Now, can you show us how your local rc system starts Sendmail, and
> >> the active Sendmail processes you are using?  It may be working
> >> fine, but only queueing messages in `/var/spool/clientmqueue'.  A
> >> queue runner should also be started to periodically scan and handle
> >> the clientmqueue messages.

> I'm sorry, but this is the *third* time I am asking the same
> thing, and it's getting a bit boring. Do you _really_ want help,
> or just to have a bit of email fun for a while?

> You still haven't shown us:

>     * How your local rc system starts Sendmail

>     * The active Sendmail processes you have now

> > monster-freebsd# !sen
> > sendmail -bd -q1m -v
> > # very long pause
> > 050 WARNING: local host name (monster-freebsd) is not qualified; see
> > cf/README: WHO AM I?

> Your DNS is broken, and Sendmail cannot resolve `monster-freebsd'.
> That's not a Sendmail issue, so I'm ignoring that for now.

Doesn't need dns.  /etc/hosts will be fine.  BUT he also needs
to put the proper name in /etc/rc.conf.

Perhaps  monster-freebsd.local would take care of that.
The refusal to accept mail by the local IP 127.0.0.1 is because
there is no FQDN - but you don't need to have it in DNS.

> > monster-freebsd# mailq -Ac
> > # very long pause
> >                 /var/spool/clientmqueue (8 requests)
> > - -----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time-----
> > - ------------Sender/Recipient-----------
> > lBAEQDUM077228        9 Mon Dec 10 09:26 aryeh
> >                  (Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1])
> >                                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> No submission service running. You have to start at least
> some process which listens on 127.0.0.1:25 for incoming email
> requests and a queue runner for clientmqueue. I haven't seen
> any "ps xauwww" output for the Sendmail processes you are
> currently running, so no idea why you don't have a listener on
> 127.0.0.1:25.

Since the local server is refusing it, that's because of
the no proper domain name 'monster-freebsd'.   The submission
service could be running, but since the system doesn't know it's
own name it wont receive mail.  He should also have 'localhost'
in /etc/mail/local-host-names [or whatever it is refereneced
by in the sendmail.cf, and then also add the monster-freebsd.local
to that file too.   If there is nothing in the local-host-names
the system won't know the mail is destined to the local machine.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com