On Dec 11, 2007, at 4:09 AM, Derek Ragona wrote:

At 12:57 AM 12/10/2007, jekillen wrote:
Hello:
 I have two name servers for four domains.
 The primary name server is running FreeBSD v 6.0
 and the secondary is running v 6.2.
 I have an MX record for each of the four registered
 domains. I have set up Postfix to act as a smart host
 mail hub (the MX host). One of the named record
 database is for one of the sites. When I try to send
 an E-mail from this message to list e-mail address. The messages
 bounce for dns lookup failure.
 The name that is being looked up is
  <mxhost>.<domainName>.<tld>.<targetDomainName>.<tld>

 Some how the two names are being mashed together and then
 looked up, causing the resolution failure.

 dig targetDomainName.com -t MX produces the record according to
 my ISP's name servers, which is the mashed version. Possibly they
 have it wrong? Someone is screwing up the lookup for this.

 There was a period missing after the MX host name record.
 I added that and rebooted the machine with the primary name
 server just to insure that named got the change and checked the
 secondary record and it has the change

 I did dig @targerDomainName.com -t MX and got my secondary
 name server responding. I checked the primary server to see that
 it is actually running at the time, it was and is.
 but the bak file on the secondary server has
 <clip>
                IN              MX      10      host.domain.tld.
 $ORIGIN targetDomain.tld.
 </clip>

 when the record on primary server is
 <clip>
 @               IN              MX      10      host.domain.tld.
 </clip>
 @ in this context should reference the domain this
 file is for.
 If anyone is a wiz at dns record and problems can you
 make any suggestions or recommendations?
 thank you in advance
 Jeff K

 Jeff,

I just checked how my DNS files look on two 6.2 servers.  The primary zone files will have the:
 @
 while the secondary zone files will not have these.

 In my zone files the MX appears on the primary as a the lines:
 ; MX Record
 @               IN MX   10      mail.mydomain.com.

Note the last period after the domain suffix is there to show it is a fully qualified name, with that name defined earlier in this zone file.

 On the secondary server the zone files has:
                         MX      10 mail.mydomain.com.

In both files the 10 is the weight for the MX record.  If you have multiple servers you want to accept email, you would use this number to designate the order they should get mail, smaller numbers are primary to get email.

When you make a change on the primary DNS server zone file be sure to change the serial number in that zone file.  Also I usually stop and start named on the primary.  I also remove the backup files on the secondary servers and stop and start named on those too to see that the new files are transferred and thus being used.

Yes, I did increment the serial number and put in the final dot. I am still getting test messages rejected for name service lookup failure--with no explanation. I contacted the isp about it. It seems as though the rejection was base on a cached response.
Thanks for the info;
Jeff K

_______________________________________________
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Reply via email to