On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 10:26:01AM -0500, Randy Pratt wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:59:49 -0800
> Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >     People, 
> > 
> >     I'd like to do a complete upgrade to see if I can fix whatever is
> >     broken with evolution.
> Evolution was updated a few days ago but there's no guarantee that
> it will fix whatever.  You might try asking on a more specific question
> on freebsd-gnome mailing list.  The more information you supply will
> help those who can answer.
> >     I'm considerned about the MGA driver NOT having been backed up to
> >     what worked.  My xf86-video-mga is back-patched to v 1.4.7, IIRC
> >     Everything works correcctly.  But looking at the newest version of
> >     xf86-video-mga (and mga-new) it looks  like both ports are what
> >     they were.
> Florent Thoumie has requested feedback from those using the patch from
> ports/117726 for x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga:
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?a01628140712120517k667af97clddb475aca3b644d8
> It appears that the current version in the ports tree,
> xf86-video-mga-1.9.100, works for some using a dual-head configuration
> while some have trouble using it with a single monitor.
> A ports update may try to update your patched version to the latest.
> Its possible to 'hold' a port from updating.  If you're using
> portupgrade, the easiest might be to add an entry to the "HOLD_PKGS"
> section of /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf :
>   HOLD_PKGS = [
>     'bsdpan-*',
>     'x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga',
>   ]
> There are other port update tools and methods to prevent a port
> from being updated but the preceeding is my preference.
> It would also be up to you to determine when to remove the entry
> and update.  I'd suggest following the freebsd-x11 mailing list
> online for mga driver discussions:
>   http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/current/freebsd-x11.html

        Well, after upgrading the upgradable--without touching the
        drivver--I finally wrote Florent Thoumie a note and explained my
        quandrry.  The docs.freebsd.org URL  was no longer valid, and it's
        hard to tell much more from the ports listings.  

        My overnight portupgrade did not  fiix the evo problems, but tolf
        me that I  was missing several ``things-Gnome'' ...  so I've been
        rebuilding a slew of things.    

        Getting there!


> Is it safe yet?  I'm presuming you mean is it safe to update ports
> at this time.  The ports tree is in "thaw" state after the tree was
> tagged for the 6.3 and 7.0 releases so new commits are being made.
> I'm just not sure how to answer the 'safe' part though.
> HTH,
> Randy
> -- 

  Gary Kline  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
      http://jottings.thought.org   http://transfinite.thought.org

freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Reply via email to