Michael P. Soulier wrote:
On 16/12/07 Chuck Robey said:

There;s one item that is much more easily done in csh/tcsh than in the sh based ones .... that's redirecting the stderr along with the stdout. with tcsh, when I do a make, I commonly do a:

make |& tee makeout

which causes both the stdout and stderr files to be redirected to the "makeout" make listing file. I;'ve never figured out any reasonably simple way to do that in any sh-like shell. Is there any simble way that you know of?

Yup.
make 2>&1 | tee makeout

Now show me a simple way to redirect them to different files in csh.

foo 1>stdout.log 2>stderr.log

Mike

Believe it or not, I was actually trying to get information, not trying to make a point illustrating things. I wasn't aware that you could mix the redirection modes .... but I just tested this, it does actually work, in both bash and sh. Keen, I'll stow that guy away, because I've been asking that on occaison for years now..

Your question sounded to me like a back-handed way to illustrate something, but I'm not all that deep. I've never run into the need to do that redirect in tcsh, so I don't know how to do it. I'm maybe justr a bit curious where you needed it, but I haven't an answer.