DAve wrote:
Andy Greenwood wrote:
DSA - JCR wrote:
Hi all

I would like to know the total number of bytes of a directory and its
related subdirs, occupied by the files inside it. I haven't found any
command for knowning it.
# du -s /etc
17008   /etc

You need read privs to all the subdirectories, otherwise you'll get
permission errors and it'll skip those. Note that this displays usage in
512-byte blocks, not bytes, but you should be able to figure it out from
there.

-h provides human readable output.
du -sh /etc
3.8M    /etc

DAve

Ahh, I had forgotten about -h. I ususally use du -s * | sort -rn | head to find the biggest files/directories in a given directory, and if you use -h, you'll get stuff out of order, since 3.8M will come after 4.2K in a reversed numerical sort.