On Dec 17, 2007, at 7:02 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 12:41:34AM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 01:06:10PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:

        I realize this may have no easy answer, but suddenly,
        after a portupgrade -aP. I have no sound.  catting
        /deev/snstat does tell me that my sound card is there.
        my volme  is set to 100%.   Where else shoulf I be
        looking.

See if the sound server is running. KDE uses aRts, gnome uses esd, IIRC.

Yes, the arts daemon is running and the esd isn't.  Logged in as
Gnomee,, no sound, tho.   Is there something that will tell me
why pcm0 is giving me these strange "overruns", "interrupts"
and so forth?

To the entire list: be very careful about upgrading right now.

gary

What about using cdcontrol to play a cd? If your cd-rom drive's hooked up to the audio port on your motherboard, it should skip anything in FreeBSD and go from hardware to speakers. It might help track down the problem.

Also, did you upgrade OSS? OSS uses /usr/src so if you've also done a csup of /usr/src that doesn't match what's installed it's possible you got something screwy to happen.

Oh, if you get BEL, you're better off than me for that. I get all of my sound to work except for BEL!