I am sorry, here is an addendum to my previous post:

>>Somehow Ubuntu was given root user
 permissions<<

Actually, upon rereading my notes, Ubuntu was only given permissions of the
user doing the login - not root - but we could login with any valid user
apparently FreeBSD thought it was presented with a wildcard password.

And I can also verify that FreeBSD clients are able to use the password map
when x is used instead of * in the map to represent the password. So I can
secure the system using the x but still cannot get Ubuntu clients to
authenticate.

Roy