Chris Makepeace wrote:
> I am a Linux distro fiddler who is trying to settle down...
>
> Just installed PC-BSD and the ".../dev/dsp could not be opened (no
> such file or directory)" error appeared.  "Mixer cannot be found",
> says the little panel icon.
>
> Sound is supposed to come via an integrated Realtek ACL883 chip on the
> P965 main board.  Realtek themselves have drivers for "Linux (2.4 and
> 2.6)" and also "RHEL4 update 4".  These are tar.bz files; dare I
> inflict them on my new setup?  I dread trying to hack them to fit it.
>
> Most other searches end up with Windows drivers only.

In short: no don't try it.
I don't have an 965P mobo, but my guess is they are using some form of
High Definition Audio (azalia) chipset.
These usually work with the snd_hda driver, which can be loaded as a
module, see instructions here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-August/155261.html

I believe PC-BSD has this driver as it is based on 6.2-STABLE (if not
you can download the driver from the location mentioned above). Try:

cat /dev/sndstat

and see if it reports anything. Try loading the driver by hand at the
console  and see if it reacts (cat /dev/sndstat):

kldload snd_hda

Also read the specifics on FreeBSD audio driver installation on the
handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

IIRC, PC-BSD tries to probe all soundcards on startup, so if you have no
sound it may well be your card is unsupported.