Kevin Kinsey wrote:
Nuno Gonçalves wrote:

I am trying to do a Bare Metal Recovery from a FreeBSD 6.0 system to a
different Hardware.

I have a backup from all partitions of the affected system so I am trying to install a minimum FreeBSD 6.0 in a different hardware which I already have
up and running.

What kind of backup?  Is it a dump(8) file?

I created a Swap Partition, a “/” partition where the minimum system is
running, and a third partition “/backup” in which I will restore the backup
through the network.

Next step will be to change the boot manager and make it boot through
“/backup”.

Do you guys think this is doable?

I Think I probably must recompile the kernel after the bare metal recovery
because the hardware is different, still do you think it might work?

Did the kernel have a lot of customization?  A GENERIC kernel should
boot on almost anything --- which is why "bare metal recovery" seems a misnomer to me. If the hard disk survives, I simply stick it in another box and rarely have any difficulties. If it doesn't, I do a minimal install with the desired final slice/partition scheme on the new HDD, and simply restore(8) over the top.

What is your opinion on this? What should be the best approach ?

Well, I don't know your exact situation, but OOTOMH, the partitioning
scheme you mention seems like wasting a disk unless you want the
final system to have only /, swap, and /backup.  Which could be
OK, I guess, but isn't the traditional BSD Right Way(tm).

Also, I'd consider installing a newer release than 6.0, and only
restoring the important stuff.  Again, it depends on your situation.

My $.02,

Kevin Kinsey
I agree with Kevin.

If the HD is ok just stick it in a new box and it will work with most current motherboards. I have done this many times. All you may have to re configure is your network if the nic on the new box is different.

 + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org + [EMAIL PROTECTED] +
 + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* +