On Dec 19, 2007, at 12:54 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

jekillen wrote:

I copied a periodic.conf file from a v6.0 system to
a v6.2 system.
Is there any incompatibility that I should be aware of?

Assuming you're not talking about /etc/defaults/periodic.conf, then
it is unlikely you will have any problems.  All that the stuff in
periodic.conf does is set values for a number of shell variables.
Those only make a difference if any of the periodic scripts refer
to them -- otherwise they are harmless.

The only thing that could hurt you is if the meaning of a particular
variable changed significantly between 6.0 and 6.2.  That is something
which would not be allowed to happen by the FreeBSD project just as a
matter of good engineering practice.

Even so, you should sanity check what is set in your
/etc/periodic.conf with the entries in /etc/defaults/periodic.conf
- -- everything you can set to affect periodic scripts that come with
the base system is documented there, and it's fairly well commented
so you can work out what changes you need to make easily. Externally
supplied periodic scripts usually contain some documentation of their
settable variables within themselves. As /etc/periodic.conf should
contain only the overrides from the default settings, this is unlikely
to be a particularly taxing enterprise.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

It was just to save some typing. I replaced Sendmail with Postfix on both machines and wanted to copy the periodic changes to the 6.2 system by replacing the whole file with the changes from the 6.0 system. That is it. It seems to be working. That is the only tampering I have done with periodic.conf. No one else uses my machines.
Thanks for the info.
Jeff K