On Dec 19, 2007, at 4:06 PM, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
Josh Tolbert:
Cause the -f option to tail doesn't work that way. -f always waits for more
input.

I know very well about -f waiting for more *input*. What puzzles me, is that
tail does not quit, when its *output* is closed.

James Harrison:
Is there a reason you want the -f flag?

Yes, I want awk to be processing the lines, which are appended to the file, until it finds, what it is looking for, and exits. I expect tail to go away,
when its stdout is closed, but it does not.

tail -f holds on for dear life until a ctrl-c happens. IT HAS A DEATH
GRIP!

This seems like a bug to me... It should hold on to its input file(s), but
exit peacefully, when its stdout closes. No?

A quick test suggests that "tail -f" will close when it gets a SIGPIPE.

--
-Chuck