On Dec 21, 2007, at 4:33 PM, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
I'm building a new server with 7.0 BETA4 (it will track stable) with the following CPU

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (2600.02-MHz K8- class CPU)
[ ... ]

What optimizations should I make in make.conf?

A reasonable starting point is no special optimizations, and simply disable debug options like WITNESS, INVARIANTS, etc.

If you plan to go beyond that, you'll need to start by doing some benchmarks before and after setting something like the CPU architecture that the compiler should tune for, and see whether you actually get any significant differences.

The example make.conf says

 AMD64 architecture: opteron, athlon64, nocona, prescott, core2

But I don't know whether althon64 or core2 would be the safest and most appropriate.

Also GENERIC for amd64 lists

   cpu    HAMMER

is that the best (only) choice?

Yes, as far as AMD64 code goes. You could always switch down to running in 32-bit mode, though.

--
-Chuck