On Dec 22, 2007 11:39 AM, Robe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to update some ports. I'm using FreeBSD 6.2.
>
> I was reading in the handbook and there are two ways to update them through
> the portupdate and portmanager.
>
> What's the difference between them?
>
> --
> Robe.

Each one offers some unique features, read the man pages to see if you
need specific functionality that isn't present in one of them (I doubt
it). Mostly it comes down to your preference. I personally recommend
portmaster because it's a shell script and requires no additional
software to be installed. To update everything on your system just run
'portmaster -ad'. The -a flag automatically updates all out-of-date
ports, -d removes old distfiles without asking.

- Max