Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
<SNIP>

If your MB is new it should work.  Older MB's have problems with
the "new way" to boot off an optical cd.  You can try BIOS/CMOS
updates from the motherbard mfg if they are available.  Sometimes
even back-flashing to older BIOS fixes it.

This is a brand new ABIT mobo w/latest bios on board.

3) Reordering/removing memory sticks made no difference.  I am running
    a memory test ATM just to be sure, but so far, the memory seems fine.

4) No amount of poking around in the BIOS settings seems to help either.

I am starting to suspect the MOBO.  If I stick a couple of cards in the
two available PCI slots, the system has trouble taking me into the BIOS
screen.  I have to remove the cards to reliably get into the BIOS
settings menu.  I wonder if this is one of those situations where there
are not enough IRQs to go around.

If it's a new MB the PCI cards are probably too old/slow to work right.

I thought that even modern PCI busses would fall back to the old
speeds.  I've had not trouble with any of my other rather new
mobos, running, say, old Adaptec controllers.

Another thing to check is if the MB has any overclock settings turned
on, these will screw up booting, going into BIOS, and some PCI cards.
Go to BIOS and select "reset to factory settings" which turns off all
the go-fast stuff.  And make sure you confirm the CPU speed in BIOS
with the actual speed stamped on the CPU.

I've reset the BIOS to the most conservative mode, no overclocking, etc.

Sometimes you just got to stick a floppy disk drive on the thing and
boot from the 4 boot floppies then do an FTP install.  I have about
a dozen servers among the collection I manage that are like this - some are even newer ones.

I would *love* to know just where boot is getting lost.  In the case
of your servers, do you see the same symptoms I am seeing: The
kernel loading progress prompt gets painted (most of the time,
sometimes it does not even make it that far) and the booting
seizes up?

Thanks for your time,