On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Paul Schmehl wrote:

--On December 25, 2007 10:25:08 PM -0800 David Benfell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:38:11 -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

If we want people to give FreeBSD a try in good faith, it is both
profoundly  stupid and dishonest on our part to claim, we have a
working USB-system... It  does not matter, how great our buffer-sharing
VM is, if a home user can't  process their photos with a
FreeBSD-powered computer.

To the OP of this thread - generalized statements like this aren't very helpful. I have a USB mouse and a USB keyboard, both of which work fine and always have.

Well, me too, and a USB scanner which works well. But I understand the frustration.

Lately, I was trying to use a card reader with a too-long USB cable. Not only did that not work, but it could slow the system down to nothing or panic it. Fixed with a powered hub...

It seems like we need another kind of storage, something that is known to be only mostly data-safe. If the system would gracefully handle unexpected media removals, that would be nice. Not everything is a trustworthy hard drive.

The user ought to be able to tell the system "Yes, da0s1 is an msdos filesystem which I'm going to be yanking out at unexpected times. Yes, I know it might lose some data, but at least figure things out and don't panic."