Quoting Jeffrey Goldberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Is there any reason not to simply do a

 cd /var/log
 chown -R daemon .

I think (but I'm not sure) that permissions will be reversed by mtree.

also

 chown daemon /dev/console

Won't work either. *if* you're going to do that you should alter /etc/devfs.conf

for console logging.

Will log rotation preserve daemon ownership?

Never used the *traditional* log style with syslog-ng, I stored everything per day/month/year/server.

I ended up running syslog-ng as root, which is probably a bad idea as well, so I cannot give you any advice on this one.

Peter
--
http://www.boosten.org