First, thank you to others who posted about this issue.

I altered /etc/ssh/sshd_config for UseDNS no, and noticed I get the prompt right away, however it still takes about 15 seconds after authentication to get a shell prompt. This is FreeBSD version: FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #7: Sat Dec 22 11:12:15 EST 2007

I noticed this behavior after the last system build and install. Prior to that, I didn't see problems like this.

I don't see this problem with httpd (apache) etc.

The DNS servers my ISP provides are quickly reachable and appear to be caching very well, so I doubt that's the issue.

Conversely, and perhaps this is a hint, the GW I log in to has this problem, but if I log in from there to an internal system using the same exact version of FreeBSD, I don't have any problems like this at all. The difference being I also use internal DNS as well as /etc/hosts entries.

Thanks.