I'm using software raid 1 on a 6.1 freebsd. This is a so called cold swap system, but I wonder how much it actually improves reliability. First off what should I be doing to detect error conditions and secondly what happens if the machine refuses to boot.

I set this system up using Dru Lavigne's recipe, but I don't really understand what happens if one of the drives starts to fail. I think there was some discussion about HD monitoring recently, but I can't seem to locate it.
--
Robin Becker