On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 09:24:15PM +0100, Erik Trulsson wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 08:05:17PM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 02:10:59PM +0100, Walter Jansen wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Upon reading chapters of the Handbook about the Ports collection
> > > and CVSup, I wanted to CVSup the ports collection for the
> > > RELEASE  6.2. Stupidly using the wrong tag (tag=.), I
> > > erroneously but successfully installed the CURRENT version. I
> > > could have used SYSINSTALL for the RELEASE 6.2 ports, but for
> > > the sake of learning and training myself I did not.
> >
> > You used the right tag. There is only a current tag as you only have a
> > current ports tree to be used for all releases ie 6.2,6.3 & 7.0 (The
> > ports might work with older releases too).
>
> Wrong.  The ports tree is not branched, but it is tagged and it does have
> tags corresponding to each FreeBSD release.

So if it's not branched but tagged, what's the difference between the
ports tree I get if I use RELENG_4_8  compared to RELENG_7_0 as tags
in my ports supfile?

> > > Problem:
> > >
> > >   - I ran CVSup again with the correct tag but though everything
> > >   in the process looked normal, the map usr/ports remains empty
> > >   and nor with whereis nor with pkg_xxx any information about
> > >   ports can be found.
> >
> > You ran cvsup again with the wrong tag.
> >

> > > Questions:
> > >
> > >   - What did I do wrong in the process?.
> >
> > Used the wrong tag second time around.
> >

> > >   - Is cvsup for installation of RELEASE 6.2 ports collection a bad idea
> > > anyway (technically) ?
> >
> > No. Although there is no 6.2 ports collection, just CURRENT.
>
> Of course there is a 6.2 ports collection.  What else would you call the
> ports tree shipped with FreeBSD 6.2?

A snapshot of the ports tree when the release was made.

> > > Proces:
> > >
> > > - I use the recently installed cvsup-without-gui, installed from ports
> >
> > Use csup(1) it's identical to cvsup but no dependencies as it's in
> > base & written in C.
>
> Not quite identical.  There are a couple of features that cvsup(1) has, but
> which csup(1) does not yet have.
> To just check out a copy of the ports tree either should work fine though.

Features that a newbie wouldn't use. It's also difficult to build
cvsup when you don't necessarily have a ports tree.

Regards,

--

 Frank

 Contact info: http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/misc/contact.html