On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 11:23:21AM -0800, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to the original posters
> question.  I somehow missed the "pre".  In any case, all this has
> prompted me to play around with pre-login messages.  Using gettytab I
> can alter the pre-login message for telnet sessions by changing the 'im'
> capability in gettytab, but for the life of me I can't seem to get
> telnetd to recognize the 'if' capability.  The console responds to both,
> but telnetd seems to ignore 'if'.  The perms on /etc/issue are 644.  I
> don't run inetd, but just for experiment I uncommented telnetd and
> launched and inetd for testing.  Can anyone explain why telnetd might
> ignore the 'if' capability specified in the 'default' heading of
> gettytab?  The telnetd man page clearly states that if 'if' is present
> it will override 'im'.

Interesting.  The source code seems pretty clear in that it only looks
at the 'im' property:

 .../src/libexec/telnetd/telnetd.c at about line 770

        /*
         * Show banner that getty never gave.
         *
         * We put the banner in the pty input buffer.  This way, it
         * gets carriage return null processing, etc., just like all
         * other pty --> client data.
         */

        if (getent(defent, "default") == 1) {
                char *cp=defstrs;

                HE = Getstr("he", &cp);
                HN = Getstr("hn", &cp);
                IM = Getstr("im", &cp);
                if (HN && *HN)
                        (void) strlcpy(host_name, HN, sizeof(host_name));
                if (IM == 0)
                        IM = strdup("");
        } else {
                IM = strdup(DEFAULT_IM);