Hi all,

I have a small shell script that does a backup to a usb drive and emails the results to a set of people. The script is triggered from devd (upon drive attachment) and runs as root.

The problem is that the mail report is sent from an active system user and not user root. The user the mail is sent from is not referenced in the script. The mail line looks like this:

   cat $LOGFILE | mail -s "backuptousb report" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I find this rather confusing since I was expecting the email to be sent by the user running the script. How can this be?

A little research told me that this may be because of something called envelope-from, but I found little explanation of what that actually means. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

JimBow