[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Andy,

On Jan 8, 2008 9:48 AM, Andy Elvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi all -

 I've recently installed FreeBSD 6.2-release - very impressed!

Just a small problem. I'm unable to mount my USB key as a user.  ( I can
mount it as root,  using the
command  "mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt "  )

This is what I get when I try to mount it as a user -
$ mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /home/andy
mount_msdosfs: /dev/da0s1: Permission denied

$ mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt
mount_msdosfs: /dev/da0s1: Operation not permitted

I followed the instructions in the FAQ ( section 9.23 ) to the letter (
the only change being that that doesn't mention
USB devices, so I've substituted the USB device name  da0 for the device
names there.  )

hmmm, freebsd.org seems to be broken for me....

- man devfs.rules

- create /etc/devfs.rules: ( substitute wheel for the group you want )

[localrules=10]
add path 'da*s*' mode 0660 group wheel

- append to /etc/rc.conf:

devfs_system_ruleset="localrules"

- make sure the dir you are mounting on is owned by the user who
issues the mount command.

- make sure vfs.usermount=1

- reboot after changing devfs.rules & rc.conf

worked for me, let us know if it worked for you.

regards,

usleep
 Hi usleep - many thanks for this!   I'll let you know soon :-)
 Bye for now -
- Andy