On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Chuck Swiger wrote:

You really don't want to export a filesystem which itself is being mounted remotely. If you want to provide SMB filesharing for these files, run Samba on the OS X machine(s) directly.

Knowing all the drawbacks including reduced bandwith, there are some important organizational reasons, thus I want to do so. Moreover, Samba ist just one application on the NFS clients, although an important one.

While I certainly wish you the best of luck, previous experience suggests that the drawbacks to this approach include not functioning properly.

NFS is a stateless protocol, except insofar as rpc.lockd in theory provides lockf/flock style locking over the network-- yet Samba/CIFS wants to allow extensive use of client side opportunistic locking, which means that Samba really, really wants to run off of a local filesystem.

Yes, I agree, locking is a serious problem. The whole thing runs with Linux NFS servers for a couple of month now (though I want to migrate to OSX NFS servers), and I introduced "fake oplocks = yes" in smb.conf some month ago (which obviously improved stability) and did also some experimenting with the -L-option of mount_nfs.

Thank you very much for reply!

Best regards

Konrad Heuer
GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, [EMAIL PROTECTED]