Michael wrote:

> I am a computer science student taking the operating systems course.
> All of our assignments are supposed run on Linux and I don't have a Linux
machine.

I've taken programming classes and learned the hard way that the only way to
ensure that my software worked correctly on the teacher's machine was to
have a matching development environment.  In practice, this can be very
expensive and/or time consuming to achieve.  Fortunately, matching the Linux
distribution make, model, and version was sufficient.

Now there are more options -- notably, virtual machines.  I suggest that you
ask your instructor to pick a free VMware Linux virtual appliance and that
the teacher and students all use that:

    http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/cat/45

HTH,

David