> I want to known how can I make backup of huge postgresql database (huge
> mean ~ 2To).
>
> I can stop the access of the database during N>>1 hours.
>
> Any idea about this ?

pg_dump should work as usual. No need to stop database access since read-only
access won't block anything else and it won't be blocked by other processes.

That said, pg_dump:ing a database that is 2 terrabytes in size is going to
take some significant time. If you want to maintain frequent backups you may
want to look into using point in time recovery and WAL archiving. See:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/continuous-archiving.html

Also the very long transaction used for the backup will prevent vacuuming from
freeing tuples for the duration of the backup. If you have tables that rely
on very frequent vacuuming for performance, those may be affected.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.scode.org