On Jan 11, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Andy Greenwood wrote:

I have recently set up a Fortigate-60 to run as a firewall/vpn on my home network. I have a FreeBSD 7.0-prerelease machine sitting behind it in the DMZ which is running ssh/web/etc. I'm trying to get the FG to log to the BSD box's syslog. I have set up the necessary stuff on the FG, and can send test logs from there to the bsd box. Running tcpdump on the bsd [...]

So I know that the packets are getting to the machine. I've set up syslogd to accept packets from 10.10.10.1/32 in rc.conf, and confirmed that the FG's IP should be accepted [...]

I've restarted syslogd after every change I've made, but no dice. Can anyone shed some light on why these messages aren't logging and what I need to do to fix it?

I'm sure that there is a simple answer for getting syslogd to work properly. But after similar experiences to yours (on other systems), I now use syslog-ng (in ports) for any system that is going to be a remote syslog server.

With syslog-ng, I can easily have my logs organized by originating host and day.

I know this doesn't answer your syslogd question, but it might provide a useful solution for you.

Cheers,

-j