I've got a Promise TX2300 SATA Raid controller that I use on my FreeBSD fileserver at home. It uses ataraid. I've set up a simple two-drive mirror. One of the drives has been sending me intermittent failure messages in the nightly emails for nearly a year - no more than one or two a month. Last night it finally croaked. The mirror broke, but it went into "degraded" mode and kept right on chugging along with no service interruption. Today I took down the system, replaced the bad drive, rebuilt the array using Promise's BIOS tools (since that's how I built it originally), and everything is back to normal.

gmirror works too very good without any hardware :)