On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, cpghost wrote:
On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 08:48:32AM -0500, John Almberg wrote:

So raises the same point that Oliver makes: how trustworthy are these
blacklists?

YMMV, of course!

I'm using spamhaus.org's blacklists for quite some time (many years)
to block spam in postfix and they've been VERY trustworthy so far.

But I can't say the same for the others, which seem occasionally a
little bit too eager/aggressive and accumulate way too many false
positives.

"Trustworthy" is entirely subjective in this case. I've seen people complain about high false positives with a DNSBL that has been extremely trustworthy for me, and then turn around and recommend one that had a very high false positive rate.

In general, people should check a DNSBL's blocking criteria and reputation before using it. They should also realize that's it's not an exact science, and be willing to manually whitelist and otherwise adjust things from time to time.