Giorgio Valoti wrote:
Hi all,
I’ve noticed that using the -P option with portupgrade, which should try to fetch the binary version of a package rarely works. Most of the times it tries to fetch the package from the freebsd site, it fails and then proceed to build it from the sources. While I can expect from to time that a pre-compiled version of a package to be unavailable, it surprises me to see this so many times.

We can not guarantee that a given package is available at any given moment, except during release cycles when the tree is frozen. The continual process of changes and updates mean that from time to time a randomly selected package may not be buildable. However, taken as a whole, almost all of the packages are available at any given moment. You can check the status for yourself on http://pointyhat.freebsd.org if you like.

Kris